1st grade students at the East End Community School in Portland, Maine, created these note cards as part of a learning expedition on birds.
To create these cards, students used a multi-step process: they created a watercolor background, illustrated a bird using colored pencils, then used a collage-like technique to combine the subject and background.
On the back of each card is basic information about each bird including physical descriptions, habitat details and diet.
These cards were inspired by the work of students at the ANSER Charter School. See entry #102.
How This Project Can Be Useful
- Highlights exemplary work by 1st graders
- Illustrations are carefully and accurately done; beautiful to view
- Fine model of a collage technique of watercolor background/drawn image that could be used in many project formats
- Adds a nice touch that each card’s created handwrote their name, reminding the viewer of the young age of these students
- A product that through the range of cards within the set shows the learning of the whole class – no one card tells the whole story it by itself
- Highlights a format in which the work of each student can be individually assessed
Common Core State Standards
|Standard||Long Term Learning Target|