This activity book was created by high school students from Olathe North High School, in Olathe, Kansas as part of a learning expedition on world health, malaria and other global diseases.
As part of their expedition, students worked on raising awareness of global health issues, focusing on malaria. The students initiated a fundraising campaign to raise money for mosquito nets, which is a simple way of preventing malaria.
The high school students created presentations for elementary students, in order to bring their message and fundraising campaign to elementary schools. This comic and activity book, which includes compelling illustrations, was one of the resources they provided to the young students during their workshops in the schools.
How This Project Can Be Useful
- Exemplifies older students creating curriculum materials for younger students
- The illustrations are high quality and are very engaging
- An example of a project and product that has an authentic audience
- Shows high school students engaged in a service project that focuses on global health issues
- Highlights a model (graphic novel meets activity book) that can be done with many different topics