This magazine was created by students in the Magazine Journalism class at Palo Alto High School in Palo Alto, California. It is published five times per year from October to June, and mailed to every student’s home. It is also archived online at http://verdemagazine.com/.
Under the direction of a faculty advisor, students write articles, interviews, and editorials, create illustrations, take photographs, and work with advertisers to create a print and online magazine covering a variety of topics about the school and the community.
Palo Alto Senior High School has a strong journalism program and the school produces several publications including Verde, The Campanile, a newspaper, Viking, a sports magazine, and Voice, an on-line news service.
How This Project Can Be Useful
- A strong example of a professional publication produced by students
- Promotes interaction with the community
- Prepares students for jobs in journalism, publishing and communications
- An example of collaboration between large groups of students
- Highlights a project with real purpose and an authentic audience