Writing Assignment Description
This writing piece is the second draft of a short personal narrative with peer/teacher feedback.
How This Writing Can Be Useful
- Strong, clear voice with personality (e.g. “Damn, I love being a girl.”)
- Crisp sentences – no affectation or adornment – that move confidently to tell the story
- Careful attention to the small details of her life
- Surprising combination of emotional worlds – juxtaposing traditional girl rituals of clothing, hair and makeup with the tough urban reality of being ready for a fist fight
- Honest portrayal of feelings that can serve as a provocation for class discussion – especially for teenage girls
- Elegant pivot in the last sentence from her personal story to the broader issue of teenage girl rivalry (“It’s how the game is played; the game of being a girl”).
Common Core State Standards
|Standard||Long Term Learning Target|