This poster of the alphabet was created by kindergarten students from the College School in St. Louis, Missouri, and combines formal lettering with student drawings. Each student picked a word that started with a letter and drew a picture that captured the essence of that word. The illustrations were photo-reduced to fit onto the poster, scanned and reduced digitally. Illustrations went through multiple drafts and critique.
Because the school has a Reggio Emilia approach, inspired by the art-rich and discovery-centered preschools of Reggio Emilia, Italy, much of the project work is given the time and support to reach high quality.
This simple idea led to the creation of an elegant poster, 11 by 17 inches in size.
How This Project Can Be Useful
- Simple, useful project done with unusual care and beauty; the idea is not novel, but the quality of work is striking
- The layout is clean and nicely crafted
- The scale is duplicable – easy to make color copies
- Shows high quality student work and evidence of multiple drafts
- Highlights a product that can easily be created by any kindergarten class