Writing Assignment Description
This piece is a freewrite created before the advent of the Common Core. Although the task wasn't designed to address Common Core standards, it is a strong representation of third grade Writing standard 3.
How This Writing Can Be Useful
- Inspiring model for elementary students for writing high-quality fiction
- Uses figurative language and dialogue to enhance plot and character development.
- Presents compelling evidence that even the youngest students are capable of a sophisticated and engaging writing of length
- Demonstrates effective voice, especially when read aloud
- Incorporates elements of surprise, tension and humor
- Note: The question often arises in groups reading this piece as to why a number of characters with different roles in the story share the name “Matthew” - some male characters, some female characters. The author, Nate explained “Matthew is my best friend. Of course I named characters after him.”
Common Core State Standards
|Standard||Long Term Learning Target|