Writing Assignment Description
Using the EL Education unit, Finding Home: Refugees, students analyzed the novel Inside Out & Back Again to argue how the title of the novel relates to the universal refugee experience of fleeing and finding home. The End of Unit Assessment asks students to consider how the main character's story is as an example of the universal refugee experience.
How This Writing Can Be Useful
- Models clear organizational structure, coupled with authentic and engaging student voice
- Uses accuracy in selection and citation of text to support arguments and reasons
- Connects multiple texts (informational and literary) to discuss the universal refugee experience
- Showcases how the 8th grade ELA curriculum module supports critical thinking, citing of literary and informational text, and using evidence to support an authentic claim
- This is one of two writing pieces from the 8th grade module, Inside Out & Back Again. Use this piece and the link to additional resources to compare how teachers might use the same module, but personalize the task for their students.
Common Core State Standards
|Standard||Long Term Learning Target|